The nation's largest gun lobby has issued its first comments since last week's elementary school shooting, saying it is "heartbroken" by the "horrific and senseless murders" and prepared to offer "meaningful contributions" to prevent a repeat. It says it plans a press conference on Friday.
"The National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms
and dads, sons and daughters – and we were shocked, saddened and
heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in
Newtown," the NRA said in a statement emailed to reporters. "Out
of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have
given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts
"The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again."